The 5th and 10th Horsham Scouts merged together in 2004, bringing groups established in 1937 and 1958 together.
Now one of the largest groups in the Horsham District, covering the Millais and Forest School area. We have two Beaver colonies, two Cub packs, two Scout troops and a partner Explorer unit providing scouting and skills for life to over 180 young people.
We have a mixed group of children from 6 to Adult and always looking for Adult volunteers to join our team.
Our purpose-built HQ in Bennetts field has great access to the local community and we make regular use of our camping area in Colgate, for both evening and weekend activities.
Across all our 4 sections we offer a youth shaped programme, where the members are actively involved in deciding what we do. These activities vary from Crafts and Cookery to Outdoor adventures and pursuits.
We also join together across the age groups for many annual events, for example:
- Jambowlree: International Scouting Ten Pin Bowling event
- Group Camp Fire: All sections come together at our local campsite for camp songs and hot dogs
- Swimarathon: In partnership with Horsham Lions, our 8+ members take part in this fundraising event.
- St George’s Day: an Important day in Scouting Calendar when we celebrate the patron saint of Scouting by parading through the Carfax and renewing our Scouting promise.
- Jamboree On The Trail: International Scouting day of walking, each section will complete their own version and come back to share stories.
- Riverside Walk: Cubs, Scouts and Explorers join to take on the Riverside Walk community event, a 13 mile circuit around the rivers surrounding Horsham.
- Summer Camp: All sections have their own Summer camp, some years we bring the sections together as part of this.
- Jamboree On The Internet: Scouts have a weekend online, chatting to Scouts from around the world, whilst our younger sections visit for the experience.
- Bag Packing: Each year as a group we hold a bag packing event to raise funds to subsidise camps and activities.
Group Facilities: We have access to some activities in our HQ which we try to integrate into our programme where possible.
- Air Rifles – Qualified Instructors and kit.
- Soft Archery – Like Archery but without the sharp ends!
- Under Floor Caving – Under our Hall, we have a secret cave (shh!) ready for our members to explore.
We also have our own camping area as part of the Horsham District Scout campsite in Colgate, which we use as much as possible for both camps and for evening activities.
Some of our Leaders are part of the West Sussex Scouts County Caving Team and lead regular trips to local mines and annual trips for our Scouts and Explorers to explore the caves in the Somerset, Mendips.